1 - 10 of 14 results

  • What is a voluntary plan?

    Voluntary plans are employer-run paid family and/or medical leave insurance programs. Employers can choose to use a voluntary plan for family leave, medical leave or both. Beginning Jan. 1, 2020, all Washington employers must offer paid family and medical leave whether it's through a voluntary plan or the state plan. Employers must apply and be approved to operate a voluntary plan. For more information, visit our voluntary plan page.

    Submit Your Voluntary Plan Application

    The benefits available to employees covered by a voluntary plan must meet or exceed the state plan's benefits. Benefits must also be extended to all employees of the applying business.

    You must apply and be approved to operate a voluntary plan. 

    For the first three years of a voluntary plan’s existence, reapproval is required every year. After three years, reapproval is required only if you make changes to the plan. All voluntary plan applications will be subject to a $250 fee, except for mandated renewals.

    If a voluntary plan is denied, employees are covered under the state plan.

    Download Voluntary Plan Guide

    Best practices for voluntary plan submission

    1. Read the Voluntary Plan Guide to prepare.
    2. Identify the gaps in existing policy from the Paid Family and Medical Leave program requirements.
    3. Stipulate the leave entitlement specific to Paid Family and Medical Leave.
    4. Provide sufficient details for determination review.
    5. Ensure definitions match those required under the law (for example: definition of family).

    We do not begin reviewing a voluntary plan application until we receive your payment. We recommend you allow 30 days from the date we receive your payment to the date we issue an application decision.

    back to top
  • Applying for a Voluntary Plan

    Applying for a Voluntary Plan

    The voluntary plan application process is three steps:

    Submit the application

    Upload your policy

    Pay the application fee

    All … more

  • Your Application Has Been Submitted

    Your Application Has Been Submitted

    Thank you for submitting your voluntary plan application.

    Next Steps:

    Check your email. We've sent you instructions and a payment … more

  • Is participation in the program mandatory?

    Generally, yes: Nearly everyone who works in Washington will participate in the program.

    Exceptions include workers who are:

    • Federal employees
    • Employed by a federally recognized tribe
    • Self-employed

    Important details:

    • Self-employed people may opt in to gain access to the benefit.
    • Employees covered under a CBA that was in existence on or before Oct. 19, 2017 are not subject to the rights or responsibilities of paid family and medical leave until the agreement is reopened, renegotiated, or expires. You will not pay premiums or be eligible for leave until the CBA is reopened, renegotiated, or expires.
    • Some employers may choose to offer benefits through a private plan called a voluntary plan. If your employer has an approved voluntary plan, they are required to offer benefits that are equal to or greater than the state plan.
    back to top
  • Is participation in the program mandatory?

    Nearly all employers in Washington state have responsibilities under the Paid Family and Medical Leave program, including small businesses, state and local government agencies and non-profits, faith organizations and other typically tax-exempt associations. Employers with fewer than 50 employees are not required to pay the employer portion of premiums, but must remit employee premiums and report employee wages, hours and more to ESD. Federal employees, federally recognized tribes and self-employed people are exempt from this program, but federally recognized tribes and self-employed workers may opt-in.

    Voluntary plans may be an option for an employer who wants to operate their own paid family or medical leave programs. Employers must apply and be approved to operate a voluntary plan. More information is available on our voluntary plan page.

    back to top
  • Are independent contractors covered?

    Any self-employed person may opt-in to the state plan. This includes sole proprietors, independent contractors, partners and joint ventures. When electing to use the state plan, self-employed persons must participate for an initial period of three years, and one year thereafter.

    Self-employed people who choose to participate must cover the employee share of the premium and are required to work 820 hours in the qualifying period to be eligible for benefits.

    For more information regarding self-employed persons using the state plan, see the RCW here: Elective Coverage – Self Employed.

    back to top
  • How do I apply?

    Beginning Jan. 1, 2020, you’ll be able to apply for paid leave benefits online.

    The complete process is still in development, but we know you’ll need to create an account, complete an application and upload documentation that proves you experienced a qualifying event. The application includes details like your name, contact information, Social Security or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number, birthdate and the type of leave you’re requesting, as well as the dates you expect your leave to begin and end, and the date you gave notice to your employer that you planned to take leave. You will also review our records of your employment information for accuracy.

    back to top
  • Are my patients eligible for benefits?

    Most people employed in Washington who work 820 hours or more in the qualifying period, which is the first four of the last five completed calendar quarters before they plan to take leave, will qualify. There are some exceptions (federal employees, for example), but many of your working patients will likely qualify.

    To use their benefits, they must experience a qualifying event. Leave events can be either Family or Medical.

    Family Leave

    • Care and bond after a baby’s birth or the placement of a child younger than 18
    • Care for a family member experiencing an illness or medical event
    • Certain military-connected events

    Medical Leave

    • Care for yourself in relation to an illness or medical event

    back to top