The path to Paid Family and Medical Leave
The Legislature approved Senate Bill 5975 during the 2017 legislative session and the new law went into effect on October 19, 2017.
The program is administered by the Employment Security Department. Eligible individuals may apply for benefits starting January 2020.
Governor Jay Inslee secured a federal grant in 2015 to begin designing a paid family leave program.
- Project Fact Sheet
- Final Project Summary
- PowerPoint Presentation: Findings from a Survey of Registered Voters Statewide
- PowerPoint Presentation: Washington Paid Leave Interviews with Employers
- Report: Cost, Leave and Length Estimates Using Eight Different Leave Program Schemes for Washington
- Report: Washington Paid Leave Preliminary Estimates
- Report: Washington Paid Leave The Effect of State Paid Maternity Leave on SNAP and TANF