How can we help?

Documents and Forms

Benefit decisions, appeals, and changes to your claim

What if I need to cancel my claim?

If a payment has not been issued, you may cancel your claim within 30 days of the date you submitted an application for benefits. You may not cancel a claim if the Department has already issued a payment on the claim. If you have been paid, the Department will cancel your claim only if we made an error in paying you. Contact the Customer Care Team if you wish to cancel your claim.