Premium Calculator

Employers start collecting premiums for Paid Family and Medical Leave on Jan. 1, 2019. For 2019, the premium is 0.4% of each employee’s gross wages. Use the calculator below to estimate your premiums.  

Premium Calculator

Sum
Employer
Employee
Family Leave Premium
$ {{toFixed(familyLeavePremium, 2)}}
$ {{toFixed(employerFLP, 2)}}
$ {{toFixed(employeeFLP, 2)}}
Medical Leave Premium
$ {{toFixed(medicalLeavePremium, 2)}}
$ {{toFixed(employerMLP, 2)}}
$ {{toFixed(employeeMLP, 2)}}
Total Premium
$ {{toFixed(premium, 2)}}
=
$ {{toFixed(premiumErPayable, 2)}}
+
$ {{toFixed(premiumEePayable, 2)}}


Important details:

  • If you're participating in the state plan for both family and medical leave, the breakout of family and medical leave premiums from the total premium amount is for information only.
  • Premiums are capped at the Social Security Wage Base. This calculator uses the 2019 cap at $132,900. 
  • All employers may either withhold employees' premiums from their paychecks or pay some or all of the premium on their employees’ behalf. Employers cannot collect missed premiums in later pay periods.
  • Employers who choose to withhold premiums from their employees may withhold up to 63% of the total premium. The employer is responsible for paying the other 37%.
  • “Gross wages” are pre-tax wages, minus tips.
  • If you are using a voluntary plan for family or medical leave, your calculations may be different. 
  • Businesses with fewer than 50 employees are required to participate in this program, although they are not required to pay the employer portion of the premium. Small businesses are required to either collect and remit their employees’ premiums or pay their employees’ premiums on their behalf.