Technical Support

Technical Support

Find answers to your questions about technical issues applying, filing a claim, filing quarterly reports and more.

Tutorial videos

Individuals & families: Technical FAQs

Your SecureAccess Washington (SAW) account

Like most Washington state agencies, we use SecureAccess Washington (SAW) to manage access to customer accounts. You will need an active SAW account to log-in to Paid Family and Medical Leave and establish a benefit account. SecureAccess Washington is managed by WaTech. If you have questions about your SAW account, go to and click the “GET HELP” button in the menu bar.

How do I create a SAW account?

If you don’t already have one, create a SAW account by going to and clicking the “SIGN UP!” button. After entering your first and last names and your email address, and confirming that you’re not a robot, you should receive an email with a link to activate your account. Once your account is active, you’ll need to add Paid Family and Medical Leave to your SAW services.

How do I add Paid Family and Medical Leave to my SAW services

Log-in to your SAW account at, select “Add A New Service,” then:

  1. Select “I would like to browse a list of service.”
  2. Scroll through the list to “Employment Security Department” and select “Paid Family and Medical Leave” from the drop-down menu.
  3. When you see the confirmation screen that lets you know the service has been added to your list, click “OK”, then select “Paid Family and Medical Leave” from your list of services to access your account.

Applying for benefits

Once you’ve logged in and selected Paid Family and Medical Leave from your list of services in SAW, you’ll click “Continue” to proceed to creating your Paid Leave account.

On the “Create an Account” page, select the “Create an Account” button to the right of “Benefit Account.”

Managing your benefit account

How do I upload documents to my account?

After you’ve submitted your application, you can submit additional documents by selecting the “Manage Documents” link on your account homepage.

Log-in to your account and look for the box labeled “Current Claim” on your homepage. Click the “Manage Documents” hyperlink to access the form where you can attach files from your computer or mobile phone and upload them to your account.

You can also download a copy of your submitted documents on this page.

I think I uploaded the wrong document. Is there a way I can check?

Yes, you can download a copy of everything you have submitted with your application by logging into your Paid Leave account and selecting “Manage documents.”

Filing weekly claims

How do I file a weekly claim?

During your leave, you’ll log in to your account and file a claim each week to receive your pay. This should only take a few minutes. The claim will include the days and hours when you used your paid leave. You can also submit your claims by calling the Customer Care Team.

To learn more, watch this short video on filing weekly claims.

When should I file a weekly claim?

You will file a weekly claim for each week of your approved leave, whether you worked at all during that week or not.

Weeks always begin on Sunday and end the following Saturday.

How long will it take my weekly claim to process?

Our goal is to process weekly claims as quickly as possible, but it may take up to two weeks. If you’re receiving your benefit payments through direct deposit, it may take an additional three to five business days for your bank to put the money in your account.

Keep in mind as you answer the weekly claim questionnaire:
  • Under the Paid Family and Medical Leave law, you can’t receive Paid Leave benefits during a week where you are also receiving benefits from Labor and Industries Workers’ Compensation or Employment Security Department’s Unemployment Insurance. If you are not receiving benefits from Workers’ Compensation or Unemployment Insurance, select “No.”
  • Some people use Paid Leave to take whole weeks off work, and others use it for smaller chunks of time, like one day a week to receive chemo. If you worked at all during this week, enter the total number of hours you worked. Please note, this field does not accept decimal places and you should round up to the nearest whole number.
  • Employers can choose to offer their employees additional pay or paid time off while they’re on leave — this is called a supplemental benefit. If your employer does not offer supplemental benefits but you used annual leave, sick or other accrued leave from your employe (including paid holidays) during this week, enter the total number of hours here. Please note, this field does not accept decimal places and you should round up to the nearest whole number.
  • When you use your paid leave, you have to take at least eight hours off in row. That’s one day for full-time employees but may be more than one day if you work part time. If you were out on leave the entire week (or if you are unemployed), select “Yes.”
  • Has anything happened in the week that changes how long you’ll be on leave? For example, has your healthcare provider said you need additional time to recover from surgery? If you select, “Yes,” a customer care specialist will contact you for more information.

Employers: Technical FAQs

Creating your account

What do I do if my UBI is not found?

Make sure the UBI you entered is correct. If you don’t know your business’s UBI number, you can look it up on the Department of Revenue website. If you entered the correct UBI and your business still isn’t coming up, contact the Customer Care Team for help at 833-717-2273.

Why am I receiving an error message that says my UBI is not in the system?

Please contact our Customer Care Team at 833-717-2273. We are addressing missing UBIs on a case-by-case basis and will need to gather additional information from you.

What do I do if someone else is already linked to my business’s Paid Leave account?

Someone from your organization already registered your Paid Family and Medical Leave employer account. Contact your organization’s account administrator to gain access.

What do I do once I receive my PIN?

When you receive your PIN, you will need to log in to SecureAccess Washington (SAW) and select the Paid Family and Medical Leave service to access your account. Once you’re in Paid Family and Medical Leave, follow the same steps as you did before: click “Create an Account,” enter your UBI, confirm your business’s legal entity name, and enter your PIN.

Please note that once you enter the PIN, you will become the administrator for the account. No one else from your organization will be able to access the account until you grant them access.

Once I complete the PIN process for my account, can someone else also complete the PIN process for the same account?

No. Once the PIN process is complete, your business account is fully registered. You become the administrator for the account and no other users can complete the registration process. To add additional users to the account, you need to grant them access by selecting “User Maintenance” under the “Manage Account” tab on the menu bar.

What do I do if I haven’t received my PIN?

It may take five to seven business days for your PIN to be delivered to your business’s mailing address. If it’s been more than seven days, you can log in to your account and request a new PIN to be sent to you. You can submit quarterly reports and make payments by logging in with limited access using the link provided at the bottom of the page where you request a new PIN.

I am a limited access user and I am no longer able to access by business account. What do I do?

It is possible someone else from your organization received your PIN and successfully completed the account registration process. You will need to contact the administrator from your organization to regain access to the account.

Can I register multiple business accounts?

Yes, you can register as an authorized user to multiple employer and employer agent business accounts. Use the ‘Add/Switch Account’ button on the top right corner of the screen to restart the registration process for a separate business.

Reporting hours and wages

I am an LLC or sole proprietor. I have no employees and do not want to opt in. Do I have to report?

No, you do not have to report to us.

I am a third-party administrator (employer agent). Do I need a power of attorney to report for my clients?

We have activated a limited access role for third-party administrators (employer agents) so they may file and pay on behalf of clients. Please contact our customer care team at or (833) 717-2273 with questions about setting up your account.

I have zero wages or zero hours to report. Do I have to do anything?

No, you do not need to report to us.

Making premium payments

I made a payment, but my balance hasn’t updated. What should I do?

There was a technical issue that was preventing balances from being updated in some accounts even after payments had been received. If you’ve made a payment and funds have cleared your bank account but you are still seeing a balance due, please do not attempt to make an additional payment. We have fixed the underlying problem but it may take some time for customer balances to update. We will contact affected customers by email and post additional information and next steps to this page.

I overpaid. When will I get a refund or credit?

If you have requested a refund, we are currently working on processing these requests. If your overpayment was less than $50, the amount will be applied as a credit toward your next quarter payment.

Why did my bank reject my ACH payment?

Because we are a new program, some banks have been rejecting ACH payments to us. You can ensure your bank will process your payment by calling them and providing them the filter information that allows them to identify us as an authorized transaction: Company ID: 1916001099 and Company name: PAID FAMILY MED.